1. Breathing is our best method of calming down. It is our best mechanism of consciously shifting the body into a more relaxed state shifting from a mode of stress to a mode of rest. Then our body is in a state of healing and rejuvenation.
2. Most of us breathe inefficiently. Not just smokers, but most people breathe with their upper chest and shoulders. This limits air to the top of the chest and doesn't allow for much relaxation.
3. Breathing with your belly moving in and out allows for more oxygen, which means more energy. We use oxygen to create energy. The more O2, the more energy. Breathing with the belly draws air down to the base of your lungs where you absorb the most oxygen.
4. We control the health of our blood with each breath. This happens because of the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. The acidity of our blood is controlled largely by our breathing
5. Breathing is one way of detoxifying the body. A deep inhale followed by a deep exhale allows for greater exchange of nutrients and waste products. It cleanses the cells, bringing in the good and letting go of the waste.
6. The breath allows you to stretch better. Part of yoga is using the breath to move the body. By breathing with muscle contraction and relaxation, normal body physiology improves the normal stretch of even the tightest muscles.
7. We connect to the world better by breathing. We constantly participate in an exchange of air with our environment. Every time we breathe in we take in our surroundings. With each breath out, we share part of ourselves with the rest of the world.